Deep Thoughts: Vuelta Stage 12
Sorry for the hiatus, folks. I was busy taking a vacation!
A pretty basic, boring stage up until the last 3km. But boy, did it get crazy. The best part about this race is how a stage like today hasn’t been the exception- it’s been more a rule.
- Cam Meyer and Thomas De Gendt are really doing their best to hot up this race! I hope one of them is able to win a stage before the end. However, with all the time bonuses available, I think this is going to be a big ask. Most of the top GC guys are going to need every bonus second they can get, so they’ll be less inclined to let the break succeed- unlike at the Tour.
- The gradients those guys were riding up were so brutal! I keep waiting for someone to get off and walk.
- I was reeeally rooting for Contador, but it wasn’t a surprise that Rodriguez took the stage win. Damn him and his mastery of the short, steep climbs!
- I excited to see Anton attack. I’m doubtful his efforts will lead to anything in this race, especially since there are so many heavy hitters this year, but it would be nice to see him take a stage win. But like I said before- I think the bonus seconds are too precious to allow a breakaway to scoop up.
- Chris Froome. He’s lagging. I don’t think his demise is quite eminent, as maybe the longer climbs will suit him better. But it certainly doesn’t bode well for him.