Category Archives: Olympics
Note: iTunes wasn’t picking up the correct URL for Episode 23, so I’m reposting it in hope that it fixes itself.
JV saves us from another week of talking only about Lance and his doping problems and gives a chance to talk about OTHER people’s doping problems! Anna gets distracted by shiny objects and Jeff calls BMX mountain biking’s ADD cousin.
- We get Lance and his mess out of the way. VeloNation has a great article summing up the whole mess as it stands now. McQuaid swears he’s not trying to save Lance’s ass and right now it’s McQuaid versus the world.
- Silly season! There seems to be an exodus from Liquigas happening. Nerz and Oss are going to BMC and Capecchi and Smyzd are moving to Movistar. And speaking of Liqugas, as Timmy Duggan been a beast this season, or what?? A great silly season scorecard to help keep track of rumors and signings.
- And lastly, we talk about Jonathan Vaughter’s New York Times article where he admits to doping and outlines how he sees cycling can get better.
- We wrap up the Olympics with talk of BMX and what happened on the track. Jeff see Laura Trott as the new Sarah Hammer (Inner Ring article on British funding of track cycling). We then talk about doping in the Olympics- what would drive a race walker to dope and why doesn’t any suspect Usain Bolt of doping (except this guy)?
Subscribe via iTunes
Just when we thought we’d have nothing to talk about, the UCI saves us from another boring show by coming out with one of it’s exciting press releases. Plus, there’s a few events at the Olympics that we want to talk about. But before we get to that excitement, Jeff talks about the prize package he’s putting together for our Velogames winner, @chriscap!
- The UCI does us a solid and acts ridiculous again, this time trying to bully USADA into letting them take over the case. We talk about Anna’s crush on Tygart, the worse case scenario that could come out this nonsense, and why the UCI might be acting this way. (VeloNation article, NY Daily News article, CBS Sports article)
- Someone (*cough* Jeff *cough*) has to pay up on their wager that Nibali wouldn’t transfer teams. We talk about how Anna’s not really sure why she doesn’t like Astana, but how this could end up being a good move for Nibali. (CyclingNews article, Vino Likes Nibali, Why it’s a good move)
- We compare tactics between the men and women’s road race (article), wonder about whether Hines’ fall was appropriate (article), and get distracted by diving.
Subscribe via iTunes
It’s our 21st Birthday! So, we’re drinking. Or at least I am. Plus, it’s a pants optional episode! Now that the Tour is over, we are at a lose as to what to talk about. But thankfully, the Olympics saved us.
TOUR WRAP UP!
- We talk about two Cyclocosm articles. First we agree that the Tour should bring back bonus seconds (article), Jeff classifies fans as classics/one day fans or stage race fans- each think the other is boring, then we talk about the “new cycling reality” (article).
- Will Cav stay, or will he go? Who could afford him? Article
- We discuss why people hate Vino (he didn’t say sorry and we don’t like that), why Team GB didn’t win and what they did wrong, and Jeff gives us a primer on Track cycling. CyclingTips gives a primer on the different track events and Yahoo Sports gives an overview of changes this year.